Tuesday, May 16, 2006

raining

Two muddy dogs in a white kitchen – what was I thinking when I decided on white?? I should paint the whole thing over a dark grey.
My sister and her family are coming up in July so I am looking forward to that. We also have a friend and his family coming for a visit and Greg’s sister, so it makes sense to stay put this summer. Enjoy our visitors, show them the city. And so maybe in August we will rent a cottage for a week somewhere up north of here. By that time I know I’ll need to get away from the city for a little bit.

Greg and I and Erin watched the documentary Grizzly Man last Friday night. It was actually kind of funny, disturbing and thought provoking all at the same time. I keep thinking back on it wondering if he had it all wrong? That his passion was mis- directed. That this cause didn’t really need him – that he more or less superimposed himself into it because he was the one that needed the cause. Or maybe he actually had it right (I have no doubt that he loved these bears and he did bring awareness for them but he also proved in a tragic way that they deserve more than anything our respect and our distance. You can’t be going around calling them Mr. Chocolate and tapping them on the nose. The documentary was almost like a what not to do survival guide. At the same time he was such a compelling character I can’t get him out of my head.

Little down recently. No reason – lilacs are out everywhere now. A childhood scent for me – that and lilies of the valley. I loved the poem on Writer’s Almanac today. Jo McDougall. It is a little like my mood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home