Monday, May 22, 2006

horses

It has been a nice weekend so far except for poor Barbaro. Hope he will be O.K. I watch the Triple Crown every year hoping to see another Secretariat. I know she or he will show up one day but WHEN? The stars must have been in perfect alignment or something on the night when he was born back there in 1969. I was ten and remember clearly watching all three races with my family. We were screaming at the top of our lungs watching that horse outrun every other horse in the field – he made it look so effortless. Sigh. Love horses -- When I was a kid I went through that stage where I was determined to read every horse book in the library. The black stallion books were some of my favourites – the Island Stallion the best of them– Flame, I think? If I remember correctly?? Remember the big race with The Black and Flame? And the book Man of War – loved it. My friend Flicka, Misty of Chincoteague, King of the Wind and so many others. I was thinking about writing a short story about the Pony Express. A young boy and his leg of it- might be fun. I had that sitting in my idea book for a while now. I also have this science fiction idea and a vampire story that I think I want to try.

Today’s quote in Word a day was
The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading, in order to
write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book. -Samuel
Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)

I think that is so true. And not because Stephen King said it in his book on writing. I always thought that. The more you read the better you write. It’s pretty much a given. But would that mean if writing was your profession you could actually schedule your reading time under work? Imagine your workday consisting of writing for three hours and then reading for three hours – that would be like the ideal job. Wouldn't it? The only small problem is how dizzy I would get – both reading and writing make me dizzy if I spend too long at them. But I would take dizzy as an occupational hazard if I could be a writer. Never mind - I'm starting to make little sense now -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home