Wednesday, September 06, 2006

I wanted to try this meme

1. One book that changed your life:

Gone with the Wind was my first adult book. I think I was twelve or thirteen when my sister and I use to sneak into my parent’s bedroom and scan their bookshelf looking for books with sexual content in them. We would flip through the pages until we came across love scenes and then read them aloud. Well, it wasn’t like our parents were going to tell us anything. Anyway as I was flipping through Gone with the Wind, scanning away, something about it caught my interest and I went back to the first page and started reading. I remember being so taking by that book, so engrossed in Scarlett's world, I would get excited, butterflies even, every time I sat down and opened it to where I left off. I believe previous to that experience I was happy with The Black Stallion, Trixie Beldon, Nancy Drew, and The Laura Wilder's series and I remember after finishing Gone With the Wind thinking wow, if every adult book is this grand and satisfying I am going to be one happy reader.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
The only book I read more than once is The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. Once in my early twenties and again at forty. I loved it both times.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
Difficult to say. For me it would have to be a book I haven’t read yet. Something thick and critically renowned.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Elle by Douglas Glover. It was laugh out loud funny in parts.

5. One book that made you cry:
Mary Karr’s The Liar’s club. If I remember correctly, at one point she is sitting in a diner with her mom asking questions and getting answers, which caused me to have a mini breakdown of sorts. I cried for several minutes over that page.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Hmm – The gospel according to Mary Magdalene

7. One book you wish had never been written:
Sorry, stumped on this one. Possibly Madonna’s children book just because it was so hard to get by its all- gloss-and-glitter-display case that was stuck in the front of every bookstore, especially when you had a little girl in hand. In fairness though I haven’t read it.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Stephen Erikson’s Gardens of the Moon

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home