Friday, March 31, 2006

it's spring

There are several regulars that come to the dog park each morning. Including a few retired professionals, a few work at home moms, this lovely young piano teacher, a dog trainer, this woman who goes into work at eleven everyday and of course the dog walkers.
Over the past week I witness these people slowly emerge from their nylon cocoons – shedding mitts, hats, scarves, hoods, and jacket. We stand about now unencumbered by weighty coats, our faces to the sun like long ago druids – that is if druids stood around holding coffees and those plastic ball flinging poles. (I don’t know the proper name for them)
Most of us are reluctant to leave the park these mornings. It has been so unbelievable mild – I can’t believe I weathered a whole winter season of mornings with these people. It became so routine. I look forward to this hour every day more and more.

I now have 80% of the spring-cleaning done and feel very good about that. Rugs shampooed and windows done. I think I just might be ready for our visitors. I also spent a few hours in the back yard raking and surveying the damage. One rose bush - dead. One grape vine (the young one) – dead. Emerging tulips – chewed on. Lawn – annihilated. I bought some chicken wire and poles and hope to make some kind of barrier between most of the garden and the dogs. I know chicken wire isn’t the prettiest thing to look at but maybe I will plant some morning glories or some other vine to climb it? Or plant thick stalk sunflowers along it? The daffodils are already beginning to sprout from the ground and I will be disappointed if the dogs don’t let me see at least a few yellow heads. I swear there are holes in my yard at least three feet deep.

I have been jogging regularly and Erin has kindly offered to show me a few cords on the guitar and hopefully teach me how to play a song. I will enjoy that, especially because it will give us something to do together in the evenings. Tonight we are all going to supper at my brother –in-laws place. Kids are excited to see their grandparents. And tomorrow night I am off to a friend’s place who is hosting a little euchre competition. Now I only played euchre once but I played Auction all the time back east so I think I will be able to hold my own. Should be fun. Sorry, I’ll stop now..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home