Sunday, March 12, 2006

Raining

It is hard to get motivated this morning. Girls want to go to the mall. Yesterday ended up being so mild you didn’t need a jacket. Monica got her bike out and went off through the neighbourhood with her friends. I took the dogs for a long walk – they found huge puddles in the quarry and were absolutely in their glory running and wrestling in them. A friend from New Brunswick was in the city a week ago and stopped in the night of the Oscars. He watched them with us. He took a liking to the dogs. Especially bow and would have taking her if we thought two dogs were too much. You know it crossed my mind – not that I think they’re too much – but he does a lot of field work, is in the woods a lot and I can imagine either dog would be in her element racing through a wooded area, near fields and streams. I would like that for them. Heck I would like that for me. But I don’t think I could part with them.

Last night I went to the wake of a wonderful man. He was just starting his retirement the year we moved into this house. He would do anything for anyone – he helped us with the grape vines, took care of Annie in her later years when she couldn’t go on long trips with us anymore, always told us what was happening on the street, last spring he grew to many cucumber plants and gave me a bunch for my garden, gave the girls chocolate bunnies at Easter time and he just loved our cat. Lucky would always be on his porch at his feet when he sat out front in the late afternoons and he would call out to us if we came out of our house, point down at the cat and say, “HEY, I’m going to start charging you guys rent.” And then he would laugh.
He will be very missed on this street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home