Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Yes

It was a good hockey game yesterday afternoon. Apps, Piper, Campbell. I find these women truly amazing. Women just didn’t play hockey when I was a girl. My Dad played hockey, my brothers played hockey. The only time I ever got to play was in the summer, street hockey and only because I use to beg my brothers to let me play. Ice hockey had never once crossed my mind because it just seemed so unreachable. It was strictly a boy’s club. And anyway, now we finally get to be hockey players if we wish to – how grand is that. I see Monica’s friend once in awhile going with her gear and her stick and it makes me proud for her. And when the Canadian team received the Gold yesterday I was overjoyed.
I remember so many times as a kid standing at the side of the road and yelling to be heard over the slap of sticks on asphalt. “Can I play?”
And my brother yelling back, “NO, but you can watch for cars.”

Here’s to women’s hockey!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home