Friday, January 13, 2006

Dylan and some resolutions

In my Craft of Sullen Art

In my craft of sullen art
Exercised in the still night
When only the moon rages
And the lovers lie abed
With all their griefs in their arms,
I labour by singing light
Not for ambition or bread
Or the strut and trade of charms
On the ivory stages
But for the common wages
Of their most secret heart

Not for the proud man apart
From the raging moon I write
On these spindrift pages
Not for the towering dead
With their nightingales and psalms
But for the lovers, their arms
Round the griefs of the ages,
Who pay no praise or wages
Nor heed my craft or art.

Dylan Thomas


Why are the lovers grieving?


Little ways into the New Year and things are going fine. It is much too mild outside for January. I have a new Thesaurus (400,000 synonyms and antonyms). It sits beside me all shiny and new, feeling like a small dose of confidence. I am presently reading The Meditation Handbook by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. I hope to start practicing – I want to fulfill my true human potential and find lasting peace and happiness. (Well that is what the jacket offers) - maybe I will start with trying to obtain a small amount of calm for small amounts of time. This year looks promising. However, the long, lasting mild weather makes me a little nervous. I keep thinking about global warming and those poor polar bears not having enough ice to wander across to hunt for seals and instead they end up in Churchill Falls eating toxic garbage and what not. Today the polar bear; tomorrow the icecaps melt and we all die. But you see that is why I need to learn to meditate.

This year I am going to read more, write less.
I am going to abstain from alcohol
I am going to meditate
I am going to run a half marathon
I am going to keep a cleaner house
I am going to get out of my head
I am going to be less negative
I am goign to get a job (like an outside the house job)

Now I must go paint the bathroom -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home