Thursday, September 22, 2005

what was I thinking?

Day three with puppies. I have bags under my eyes. When they sleep I want to sleep. The only constant question I seem to keep in my head is, “what are the puppies into?” However when I took ten minutes this morning to show Erin how to do a math question, I managed to forget that one important puppy question until it was too late. Monica was the one to call me to the back door. “Mom, you better come quick.” I have this half barrel full of flowers in the corner of the garden and when I stepped outside, the dogs raised their heads, their completely dirt covered heads, from the hole they created in this big planter where not one flower was left standing. The flowers and dirt were spread across the lawn and onto the patio. Ten Minutes!!
I would have done anything to have my camera at that moment. Of course seeing me they leaped from the hole they dug and came barreling over to the back door, tails wagging. Mornings are a little tough but once the girls go to school, I take these new girls for a run in the park. And I run with them until they are good and tired. Once again they are sleeping and I can think for a moment. I have a crate but I only put them in there at night so they don’t eat our dry wall.

They came with their names, which are Cinnamon and Marshmallow but we decided we would shorten them to Cinder and Marsh. I like the name Cinnamon but I’m not crazy about the name Marshmallow. Their personalities are so different. Both are smart I think but Marshmallow might be a little smarter. She is the bigger of the two and has a sharper nose. Cinnamon has the face of an angel but she is the main mischief-maker. They both are very friendly and I believe very trainable. I love going for walks with them. I haven’t had this much social interaction in years. Everyone has advice for me and it’s funny because one person’s advice will contradict the next person’s advice. One woman, who I have seen often in the past year or so walking her two dogs, stopped and talked to me today for the first time ever. Told me about the dog park and what dogs to avoid. I guess there is a real troublemaker there everyday at around nine thirty but she says he only stays for about ten minutes. I forgot all about this doggy culture -- after Annie turned 12 we didn’t take her to the dog park very often because she got snappy with the younger dogs—she would play good naturedly with them until she ran out of steam but then would get grumpy if they kept wanting to play. Anyway it does feel good to have a dog (s) again but at some point I will have to find away to get some work done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home