Thursday, March 31, 2005

out like a lamb

It rained most of the day. Tiny clusters of colour are beginning to break loose from the soil. I haven’t inspected my back yard yet. Need to sweep away the cushions of dead leaves from around the bushes and trees and from the garden. I should plan for what will go where but I never do. Last year my oregano took over half my back yard, getting in around the roots of my raspberry bushes and it was difficult digging them up. I think I want to try sunflowers again this year and of course tomatoes and mint and a couple of big size clematis vines for my new fence. I need a few new light pink peonies too. I love them, especially at night when they look like ghost flowers. My neighbours who have a beautiful yard are always telling me I need to dig up my daffodils and spread them out but I love when they come up in a big batch all at once – like family. Plus I’m lazy and I am afraid I will harm them. I am not sure what got killed during the fence building. I hope it wasn’t any of the daffodils. And my cedar globes and small spruce have lots of freezer burn (or what ever you call that when parts of them turn brown) but I believe they survived the winter ok. Nothing a little pruning won’t cure. My biggest challenge will be digging up this crazy ground cover that has taking over the very back – its root system goes down a good three feet and it will be a few days digging all that up and starting over back there. My yard has a wild, unruly look to it, which I love but it is hard to manage at times. I won’t use any form of herbicide or pesticide or growth formula and hand till all the weeds – but if a weed looks pretty I leave it. Or if it shows any determination at all to survive and not harm anything else around it I will even water it and give it a name. I love when seeds of flowers blow in from other yards, last year I got trilliums. I wonder what the wind will blow in this year? I am not a great gardener by any means but I love getting down in the dirt, as close as I can get, studying the petals and textures and tiny stalks and thicker stalks and the smells and all the small insects that crawl beneath. I love the warm soil when it wakes. It makes me feel fortunate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home