Wednesday, November 24, 2004

shopping and bookclubs

Slow day. It is raining. All the brown bags full of leaves that are lining the edges of the neighbour’s front yards are looking pretty sodden. How we put autumn away every year in rows of neat little bags. This street is so tidy. Saturday, Monica and I had started a little Christmas shopping. We wandered in and out of many stores and sat outside a coffee shop while she sipped on a hot chocolate. It was enjoyable spending that time with her. I watched as she picked out gifts for her Dad and her sister with the expertise of a veteran shopper.

Last night I went to the book club. There were at least ten women there. The hostess had a beautiful home. A fire was burning in the prettiest fireplace I had ever seen. Colourful Ceramic tiles around it. Everyone seemed very friendly, articulate, funny, and successful. One woman was showing us the cover of her new cookbook that will be in bookstores and on Amazon come January, I think she said? I would plug her book but I forgot her name and the name of the book about a second after I was introduced. I was so nervous. I can’t keep anything in my head when I am nervous.

I was thinking; please don’t ask me what I do for a living. I always trip over that question. But, I got a way with sitting quietly, listening to their views about the book and the author, which were entertaining and interesting. They have a well-established book club. I don’t want to go back though. How do I tell my friend this? I think my husband is disappointed that I'm not going back. For a second there, I think he may have thought there may still be a chance on having a socially adept wife.

and now it is snowing and the big brown and yellow truck is on our street picking up all those wet bags of leaves. Carting off autumn.

Whiskey River has a nice quote today and i think i did spend the last few hour visiting all three realms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home