Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Annie

I take loss oddly. Well, I believe I do anyway. I know how to store it away and only pull it out when I am melancholy, when I actually have a desire to reflect on sad things. File under melancholy, to assess at a later date and time. So, I didn’t want to write about our dog, Annie, passing away on November ninth. I am not even sure I can file it under the category of sadness even though I know Greg and I will miss her a great deal and my daughters will miss her even more. She is like a chapter of our lives that just finished. A very tail wagging, loving, loyal and happy chapter. And I believe she had a happy life and it was relatively long so I really can’t seem to find the sadness in that.

I didn’t even shed a tear until yesterday and that was only because I was tidying up Erin’s room and had a look at her calendar where she makes one-line entries in the date boxes. For November beginning with the 2nd she had, written in with red ink, U.S elections – Bush, on the 8th – first snowfall, not much. On the 9th – Annie died today, on the 11th, Remembrance Day – wear black. I don’t know? It sort of said it all and it made me think about Erin and Monica and how they never knew a life without Annie and so this must be a great loss to them. It gave me the right to feel sad for them and so I sat on her bed with my dust rag and was sad for a little bit.

Some day soon I’ll write an entry about life with Annie and post pictures of her.

Annie, December 1989 – November 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home