Sunday, November 07, 2004

Being Judy Blume

The woes of nanowrimo writing hit me for the first time yesterday as I tried to reach that 10,000-word mark. I knew I was close so I woke before the rest, determined to get it done. Not a lot before the rest, just enough time to get a pot of coffee started and to start up my computer and plant myself there. First problem was the coffee. There was approximately twelve grains in total at the bottom of the can. If I scraped I might have been able to get enough for one decent cup, but that would have been selfish and I knew my husband was going to be up shortly so I watered the little I had completely down in the French press. I then sat down at the computer and started typing. But they started arriving downstairs one after another.

Husband: This is supposed to be coffee?
Me (as I type): yep
Oldest Daughter: mom, what can I eat for breakfast?
Me (as I type): Have some toast
Oldest Daughter: I don’t want toast.
Me (as I type): Have some Halloween candy. You must have some left?
Oldest Daughter: MOM!
Husband: (sticking one of his shirts under my nose) does this not smell musty to you?
Me (as I type): All I can smell is your cologne
Husband: You lost your sense of smell. We need to start keeping the heat on down in the basement because everything down there is beginning to smell musty.
Me (as I type): OK fine
Husband: Well I said that last week and you turned it off
Me (as I type): It was 16 Celsius last week.
Oldest Daughter: Mom are you going to write all morning?
Me (as I type): Just six hundred more words.
Oldest Daughter: I thought we were going to the mall?
Me (as I type): At one
Youngest daughter: You guys are going to the mall today, I want to go too!
Me (as I type): You already told your dad you would go to the market with him?
Youngest daughter: But I didn’t know about the mall. That’s not fair.
Me (as I type): I’m sorry but neither Dad nor I want to take you together anywhere today because you been at each other all week. You need some time apart.

Youngest daughter: MOM!

HELLO, I AM TRYING TO WRITE A NOVEL HERE. Anne Rice doesn’t have to put up with this!

Actually, it turned out being a fine day although those last six hundred words are pretty incoherent. Who am I kidding all 10,000 of those babies are pretty incoherent. But the mall wasn’t half bad and I felt a little better after buying a large coffee and two books. Unless by Carol Shields and a fantasy. The author is George R.R.Martin, I haven’t read him yet. I have read Tad Williams, Robert Jordon and Terry Goodkind. But I have to admit I am growing weary of such long stories. OK. Must get writing. Have a nice Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home