Thursday, October 28, 2004

Books and dark mornings

It was so dark this morning. The alarm clock rang, Greg pressed snooze, it rang again, he pressed snooze again and then again and it was still dark. It was only the streetlight that gave our room any definition by shining a small amount of gloss onto the between spaces of our window’s wooden blind. Even that first cup of coffee didn’t bring up the sun. I even bet if I had walked out onto the quiet leaf strewn street and yelled ally ally home free it wouldn’t have brought up the sun. She sleeps in these days, entertains us briefly and retires early. The moon this morning was full and engrossing though as it sat above the red brick buildings. I think of winter and childhood friends on these mornings- Cold icy beaches and whipping winds. It made me want to cuddle back down under the comforter until the sun showed up.

And then there was the game and having a few beer last night which makes that snooze button easier to whack. Nice to see the Red Sox win.

Now I am on my third coffee which isn’t a good idea. I want to put off everything and write this morning. Write until I have to go and pick up Monica for lunch. Both of them still come home for lunch. I don’t know why Erin wants to? It would be much easier on her if she stayed. By the time she arrives home, she eats quickly and leaves again. I think she likes coming home because it breaks up her day. She told me she is joining Choir and I'm glad because I find she has a very nice singing voice. She just finished reading the book Coraline by Neil Gaiman and she loved it. Monica is now reading, “Are you there God? It is me, Margaret.” By Judy Blume. The young girl’s Bible. I remember the impact it had on me as a ten year old. Greg is reading (not actually reading - it is an audio tape book) The fabric of the Cosmos by Brain Greene and I have finally started The Last Crossing. But I also need to find The Trouble with Islam because that is the book my neighbour’s book club is reading and I have to read it by November 21.

My thoughts are jumping all over the place. I was also trying to convince myself to sign up for nanowrimo.com. It would be fun and it does give you a fine reason to sit down and write 500+ words a day. However, the short story I am writing “With stones from her garden” has already hit 4000 words and I haven’t even got her in the garden yet. And I don’t want to put it aside and start something new. I was thinking I could try stretching it into a novel for the event but according to the rules you can’t start writing until Nov. 1st.
I will probably decide midnight on Halloween if I am going to give it a shot or not. Of course now in my three coffee induced haze I am coming up with several ideas. O.k. got to go and see what is becoming of my two sad little characters in my short story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home