Monday, November 22, 2004

an old journal entry

I spent a good bit of last evening looking through old photo albums trying to find a few pictures of Annie. That led to looking at old journals trying to find entries that included her. I found an old poem I wrote in September of 1990. Annie must have been ten months old.

I sit on this ancient rock
watching
blue sky meeting blue water
a sailboat on the horizon
moving silently
a gull floats overhead

sprinkles of sunlight
keeps placing a million tiny diamonds
on the water’s surface
to roll in with the waves

as I watch
a soft breeze lifts my short hair
the sun is warm on bare arms

My dog,
who races along the edge
where the water turns to foam,
Plays tag with the incoming waves

her tail communicates her
joy.
her wet black coat gathers up
the diamonds

I watch from this rock
while she digs in the sand,
chases sticks,
attacks waves

what a grand September day

warmth on my arms
a breeze so soft
sounds so soothing
but mainly

my dog so happy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home