Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Magic Books

When I was little, on days when winter had a sharp edge to it and we were forced indoors, my sisters and I would pull out the Eaton’s fall/winter Catalogue. Not the slim, sale item ones and especially not the Christmas catalogue (that one was sacred) but the big, thick, displayer-of-every-piece–of-merchandise–that-Eatons-had-to-offer one. We would place it before us on the cool linoleum of our front room and with scissors in hand we would take turns cutting out the woman we would be, her clothes, her living room, her appliances, the sheets for her bed, her curtains for her windows, her husband, her kids, and everything else that we, at the time, thought she needed to have the life she deserved. In these catalogues the fridges were always opened to display shelves crammed with food, they even housed pop and so we would take our time pondering over those perfect fridges and which one was the right one for our women. When we had cut out everything we thought they needed to survive in life, we would then lay all our cuts outs on the linoleum and play for hours. We called this game magic books.
Today as I was trying to get a little further in my story for NaNoWriMo I found myself playing a game similar to that of magic books but I was using the Google search engine instead. Sometimes my characters need things that I have a difficult time describing, for example their bikes. What bikes do these kids ride? So off I went to the magic search engine and immediately was able to pick out a diamond back BMX, silver in colour for my character Joe and a white mongoose BMX for Sam. It’s still fun to play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home