Wednesday, August 24, 2005

camping

We went camping this weekend. I remember what I said about not camping anymore but I’ve changed my mind. It really is the cheapest way to escape the city for a few days. And it was unbelievably beautiful up there. For the most part we just hung out at the campsite, nestled in our canvas chairs beneath the mature pine and spruce trees. The girls spent most of that time on their bikes exploring. Didn’t have to venture too far to see or hear the wildlife. Red squirrels, chick- a-dees and black birds were our daytime chorus while the loons lulled us to sleep. And then there was sitting around the campfire, the warmth from it keeping the evening chill away while we watched the stars appear in our small circle of sky above the top of the trees. We went on a few small hikes but nothing too strenuous. And then Greg and I decided to try the mountain bike trail. I didn’t bring my bike so I borrowed Monica’s. This trail has four loops to it. The first is at 5km, the second is 9 km and then I think it goes to 20 and 30 kilometers. I had done the first loop 3 – 4 years ago and remember it being a blast. However, I must have been in better shape then because by the time Greg and I got to the first fork, where we had to decide to complete the 5 k or go on to do the 9 k, I was completely spent. We decided to keep going anyway just to say we did the second loop. Check it off on our mid life to do list. We have no other reference to rate this trail because it is the only one we ever been on but I think it was listed as moderately difficult. I, myself, found it extremely difficult but it was certainly all worth it for the incredible rush on the way down. I am a very cautious person most of the time but at one point, even when my good sense was telling me to, I had no desire to slow down. It was a very bumpy ride; lots of rock and root and at every dip there were huge puddles. Monica’s bike took a pretty good beating and I think I might need to bring it in somewhere to get it looked at, it’s making some funny noises now. Next year on to the 20k loop (maybe not) – I suppose though if we brought a nice lunch and took lots of stops it wouldn’t be so bad???

Anyway, very happy to have had those few days up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home