Wednesday, February 09, 2005

dear diary

I accomplished a lot yesterday, which is amazing because I kept getting sidetracked from my goal. At one point I found myself sitting cross-legged on the cold floor reading my old journals from 1981 and 82. I found some old short stories stuck in it, very poorly done, most of them hand written in red ink. I was also amazed at how often my older sister’s name came jumping at me from the pages. We seemed to have hung out a lot in those years. Those years also seemed to involve a lot of wine consumption on Friday nights and fretting about what I was going to do with the rest of my life. (some things never change). These entries were before Greg and nursing. During my casual flipping of pages I started noticing how often I had written– I think I will write a short story – or I wish I had an idea for a short story – and it is funny because those lines followed me all this way and for someone who never feels very consistent, I always did that. I always found enjoyment in that. Anyway, my legs started to cramp up from sitting cross-legged and I put my past away back in its box, and finished cleaning. And as I was using my swifter to remove about three inches of dust from the top of the pipes, some of it falling in my hair and eyes and making me cough, I was thinking – I wish I had an idea for a short story. And lucky me because an hour later, half way through mopping the cement floor a bit of an idea came to me. I think I am going to call it “Casey’s Promise”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home