Monday, February 07, 2005

the weekend

Car tires slice open
brown winter puddles
bringing ripples of summer
towards small hills of slush
and a moment of childhood
arrives at this shore

showing me a rainy June night
and a highway of cars
the sound of tires
on wet road while spills from
headlights
travel the blue painted walls
of my bedroom and then disappear.


I was a little uncomfortable but it was very fun. The moves for belly dancing are harder than I thought but after watching the instructor and how graceful and sensual she made it look, I really want to learn this dance, so I’m going to keep going back. The space is very nice. It is an old church that is now a fitness centre. Beautiful windows, high ceilings and hard wood floors. I like being there.

And Saturday night’s dinner party was very entertaining and the Irish stew was delicious- she said she added five cans of Guinness to the broth. They have a lovely home with a beautiful wide view of the city from their balcony and down below the twisting, busy highway full of cars could be seen rushing home or to restaurants or to friends or to a game or to work. I felt lucky to be able to see that much at one glance. When I closed my eyes the cars on the road sounded like running water. I think I could get use to that drone– like when I was a child I always fell asleep quicker if someone was running the water for a bath or if my mother had the vacuum cleaner on. Again standing watching the city, from so high up, I had that twinge of loneliness come visit for a second but it quickly left. Small towns and cities – they are so hugely different – it is a difficult thing to bring the city feeling to a small town and to bring the small town feeling to the city, so the two sometimes compete for space in my head. When I dream sometimes allyways, full of steel garbage bins splashed in graffiti, will lead me straight to the shore underneath the bridge near my childhood home. I like those dreams. The two seem so close.

We didn’t get to go snowboarding yesterday because Monica wasn’t feeling well. She is currently cuddled up on the couch, watching TV, eating a popcycle, looking rather comfty. But all in all it was a nice weekend. I was even able to write a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home