Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Books

Monica is off on a ski trip today, so I am very happy to see that our cold snap has snapped. It is sunny and mild today. She isn’t feeling all that well and had stayed home yesterday but she wanted so much to go. I hummed and hawed and then said O.K. but now I will sit and worry about her the entire day. Hope she has fun.

Greg has started reading “Collapse” by Jared Diamond. It explores past civilizations that had collapsed or failed and how we can avoid that same fate. Greg thinks it's wonderfully written. I have to start reading more non-fiction. Here I was laying next to him last night reading the second book of George R.R. Martin series A Clash of Kings. And he is telling me about Collapse and I’m thinking well my book has this huge wall at the end of the world to keep out the “Others” who can kill you with a touch but you don’t really die, you sort of just become one of the undead with purple hands and blue eyes.

Actually I like it. I find during January and February I’m always drawn to fantasy. It’s fun. Keeps me from climbing the walls. I did get quite far in Runaway but now I can’t put down this fantasy so the last few stories will have to wait. I love her stories though. There is no rhyme or reason for what I will read. I like a bit of everything. And yes, sometimes I will even judge a book by its cover.

However, I seriously lack the knowledge base that Greg has because he will only read books that will teach something. Sometimes I think I should try harder at balancing reading for pleasure with reading for learning. But first I really have to find out who gains the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home