Monday, December 06, 2004

skylines and quarries

We had snow but this is the first real snow. It is coating everything. I like it best in the crooks of branches, clinging there in small white clusters. It sits so placidly in these splits, in the spaces where leaves never grow.

Yesterday, all was bare and the sun seemed to be giving December a gentle talking to. I decided to go for a walk to the old quarry. Monica came with me. What an overgrown and lovely, quiet place that is. However the ground there is marshy and toxic and I think that was the main reason it stayed undeveloped so long but now there is talk of high rises going up where the bull rush and red wing black bird thrive. I am running out of places to get my little fixes of wild around here.

On Friday night we went to our first Christmas party. It was nice. Lots of food. It was in a condo right in the heart of the city, on one of the higher floors. They have a great view of the skyline. But I always find it to be a very lonely feeling looking out onto all those lit up buildings. And the moon on Friday night had a shadow cutting it almost horizontally in half. It looked like a bowl that someone was tipping ever so slightly to maybe drink from. It was different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home