Friday, September 10, 2004

Ulysses

I just finished reading James Joyce's Ulysses. I won't tell you when I started this book. It is pretty dog-earred now after carrying it around in my knap sack so long. So my impressions?
Loved the grave yard scene, loved some of the dialogue, loved that he brought me back to a time and place that no longer exists and he did it with such detail and that rambling without punctuation by Mrs. Bloom at the end was pretty hilarious. The rest I didn't have a clue. I'm sorry, for alot of it, I found it tortureous to read while trying to maintain some sort of understanding. At one point i was just reading for the sake of reading, not having a clue what was taking place during huge chunks of the book..However, I can now say I read Ulysses and can cross it off my list of books that I must read before I die.

2 Comments:

At 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There,

I just discovered your blog and I love it. Congrats on finishing Ulysses. I just started War and Peace. I was a little intimidated by it but thought what the hell? Dive in, enjoy. And I am. I don't know how long it will take me to finish it. I don't care either. Keep up the good blogging. Roberta @
http://blogs.salon.com/0002890/

 
At 10:40 AM , Blogger mary j. said...

Thank you, Roberta.
I have not read War and Peace. It intimidates me a little too but hopefully someday I will try reading it. Enjoy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home