Sunday, July 23, 2006

weekend

Late on a Sunday morning. Just thinking about yesterday. We first spent the afternoon in the distillery district for their Partigras. We wandered about enjoying it all. The rain had just stopped and first things always being first, Monica wanted a hot chocolate and so we sat down on wet chairs and watched people walk by as she sipped on her drink. We then just wandered about stopping at each stage to listen to the musicians. For a while one young violinist (he had an electric violin) and his band captivated us. As we use to say on the East Coast growing up, “Man, could he ever give’r. I really enjoyed that. There was a bit of every thing going on including blues and Jazz.

After arriving home, Greg and I decided to head down to harbourfront for the Mexican Festival. We took the Go train to union station just as the sun was going down. The sky was bathed in pink peonies and the tall chrome and steel towers glistened, with splashes from this soft pink. I was left thinking how little I know this city and how sometimes it surprises me with its structured shine.
Once down there by the water we met up with friends and watched this popular Mexican group who blended traditional Mexican music with tech-tronics. I am not sure if you would call them a band since they were surrounded by laptops and other electronic devices but they were making some incredible sounds and the younger people there were into them. I think they were from Tijuana.

Anyway we got home a little late. Both of us happy that we had spent such an enjoyable day and thinking that we should really take more of an effort to take in the events (free events) that are constantly going on around the city during the summer. My summers usually consist of getting excited about going back east, preparing to go back east, going back east, enjoying back east, traveling back from back east, readjusting back to the city, reminiscing about my hometown for about a week or so afterwards, bouts of homesickness, and thus ignoring for a big part the city around me. Which is home and I wish I didn’t always have to convince myself of this.

So far spending the summer in the city has been going quite well. Monica and I finally went to Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and enjoyed it. I think Erin, Monica and I will head to the Zoo tomorrow if the day turns out nice. And I don’t know if I should be sheepish about saying this but I can’t wait to see Miami Vice.

Today it’s raining and I started yet another short story. I can’t even begin to list all my works in progress. It is a summer for getting my rough ideas down – this winter I hope to finish some of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home