Monday, July 25, 2005

home

He was flying low, slightly above the trees when he crossed the highway directly in front of us. I would have to say his wingspan was ten feet. He was massive and Greg and I and the girls were awestruck as we stared out the car’s front window at him. We had seen eagles from the boat, far off but this was the closest sighting for us by far. It was an adult – a mature, powerful bird with a head of tight, snowy feathers. I can’t tell you how fortunate I felt seeing him (or her)that close. We all watched silently as he soared away over the trees. It gave me goose bumps. They say it is unlucky for a black cat to cross your path but I think if it’s a bald headed eagle that’s crossing in front of you it must be a good sign. How could it not be? this happened on the evening of our last day as we were driving to Greg’s sisters place for dinner – grilled salmon on a cedar plank followed by a game of washer toss. We ended the evening on the beach with a fire and the river so still it looked like a grey metal floor.

Once again I feel awake. – with two weeks of family and nature and looking out over the water – the river, the bay, the ocean – I feel I can handle the city – give it another go. Become productive and happy. I know happy is one of those cotton candy type words and maybe that isn’t quite the word I’m thinking of but I sort of feel that all is how it should be for me. Mind you this will probably all wear off in a few days but right now I feel content. It was like a dose of confidence spending time back east. I played 18 holes of golf with some of my brothers and brother-in-laws (my sisters don’t play), spent long days at the beach, had many great conversations with my sisters and my father, had many small day excursions along the coast, went to my 25th high school reunion, Monica and Erin really enjoyed their cousins. It was over all a very successful vacation. The only thing I missed out on was going fly-fishing with Greg one morning. He said it was unbelievable. They didn’t catch anything because it was too hot for the fish to be biting but he could easily see the salmon lazily swimming along. His friend took him back to a beautiful part of the river. Sometimes it makes sense to be away just because the appreciation we both have for that area seems to keep growing every year.
And once again I had my fill of lobster, crab and salmon while I was home. They even sell lobster rolls at MacDonald’s back east. Oh, and last but not least my brother in law took me for a ride along the shore road on his new Harley. That was so much fun. Only the second time I was ever on a motorcycle.

So once again I am pleasantly filled with family, seafood, conversations, star filled skies, salt water, wild rose bushes and wild beach pea. I did miss Sandy a great deal on this visit. It was a little strange that way. I don’t have many reminders here of her but there every time I turned around something or someone made me think of her.

However, here I am home in Toronto again and feeling capable of tackling anything. I hope this feeling last at least till the end of the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home