Wednesday, April 27, 2005

dreary

It is still cold and dreary. I told myself I’d do gardening anyway. At least overturn the soil where the vegetables go. Well, by mid summer it becomes a mixture of flower and vegetable. Cosmos and these orange flowers (I don’t know the name) start to sprout between the rows and I kind of let them as long as they don’t block the sun from my tomatoes. I am not saying there is any order to things back there. I love growing tomatoes. They are so easy and just a few plants yield so many. Lettuce just grows to fast for me, seems like if I turn my back for a minute, it flowers. Well maybe more than a minute. I started some green peppers from seed in little jiffy pots a few weeks ago and they are coming up. I bought a rose bush that I will plant in my flower garden in memory of my sister. A few years back she was living in this beautiful old farmhouse that sat in a field of hay and all along the border of this property there were wild rose bushes. That smell was so wonderful, so New Brunswick for me and one night- me and her and another sister were sitting out behind her house, having a few drinks, looking up into this night sky, listening to the frogs and this jealousy washed over me that my sister was able to have this - all the time, while I was stuck in a place where the night sky never offered you anything past that first layer. Where there was never a frog calling to another and beauty came in the shape of order, perfect lawns and well placed gardens where even the daisies seem educated. I guess I am still feeling restless. Time to go jog past the quarry again. See if I can spot some more creatures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home