Monday, December 27, 2004

a moon and a movie

I caved a little there yesterday and I could feel myself sliding and I just let myself go. I growled at the kids over something trivial, I snapped at Greg. I wasn’t pleasant at all. It surprised me because I thought I was doing so well and we did have a very nice Christmas. I gave Greg a bonsai tree (a juniper) and he gave me a new digital camera. Monica made such a nice observation when we opened our gifts. She said, “Hey, you guys gave each other a little a bit of yourselves because Dad likes technology and mom likes nature.”

It may take me a while to learn this new camera. It has a lot more settings than my old point and click one. We were going to go boarding on the 28th but Greg threw out his back yesterday during a neighbourly game of ice hockey so I am not sure now. We took up snowboarding three years ago. I guess the thought of turning forty scared us enough to try something new. We figured it would either make us feel young or kill us. Actually, I really enjoy it. It is one of those sports that when you first attempt, you think, “tell me again why I am doing this?” but once you start getting the feel of it and can actually make it down a hill, it is very fun.

After supper last night, I went for a walk trying to shake my doom and gloom attitude and there sat the culprit in the night sky. I always thought that a full moon acts a little like a poultice, pulling from us unwanted feelings. And there it sat large in an indigo sky, in the centre of all these jig saw pieces of grey cloud. It's hard not to take notice, hard not to let it pull at you, take you slightly from yourself. I could have kept walking. I like a cold night and so few people were out but instead i stopped into a movie rental place and picked up Napoleon Dynamite. We watched it last night. It is a very funny movie.

Greg and the girls went for a swim. I think I will wander down to the shore and see if i can get this new fangled camera to work for me. And I should throw that leash away that is still hanging near the front door.

I'm ready for a fresh year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home