Monday, September 27, 2004

Monday

I believe I have a Siberian Elm in my front yard. It is the last hardwood tree on this entire street to lose it leaves every Fall. The leaves turn yellow when they decide to turn, in their own good time. It is a lovely tree. It is resistant to dutch Elm (so the tree book tells me). I am glad because after nine years a tree in the front yard can begin to feel like family. The town I grew up in was once covered in Elm trees but they all came down with that awful disease. It even has an Elm park without a single Elm in it anymore.

My youngest daughter is home sick today. I figure we can finish up Harry Potter and start the Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke. Sometimes we read together. Sometimes she read to herself and then I ask where she got to and then I sneak off with the book to catch up to her. My oldest daughter is more like her Dad. She reads a lot of magazines and non-fiction books. I keep hoping that a certain book comes along and captures her. Takes her away and brings her back a book lover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home