Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Autumn

Cosmic Waitress, so sorry to bother you but I believe I ordered the large life!

The first day of autumn arrives tomorrow. Maybe I will get up early and greet it. I love autumn. I was a bit more productive today than I have been lately and I still have to run off in a minute to run a few more errands but I wanted to jot down a few words. I started a new short story last night and I enjoyed getting lost in it for a few hours. I have it taking place in a semi fictional place just because the place I am thinking of I don't know that well. It takes place somewhere in northern New Brunswick, South of Jacket River, north of the Road to Resources. I have this sixty two year old woman and her older, frailer husband living in this very remote area, hermit like and pretty much detached from the rest of the world. She has a decision to make. It is mainly a character driven story ( I think). She is beginning to take up a lot of room in my head, I have been thinking about her for three days straight now. I keep seeing her in this pulled fisherman sweater and black stirrup pants, with several bobby pins holding back her short grey hair. I like her.

When I worked as a nurse in Campbellton, I always drove by Jacket River but I never stopped in to see what the town was like.

"Hold my coat and give me a rock. I'm from Jacket River." I remember that saying.

And then in August when we were headed back to Toronto we decided to take the road to resouces, a short cut through the province. From Bathurst to St. Quentin there is nothing but trees, hills, rivers and wilderness. It is a wild and beautiful road. This inbetween area just seems like where she might come from. Somewhere on a back road, near a remote fishing camp or hunting camp that must dot that area.

I received another rejection letter yesterday and yes, it did hurt for a moment because it was one of my new ones and I did wonder for a brief second if I should stop sending things out but I 'm over it. Happy Autumn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home